Wednesday, October 14, 2009

02 September - Waking,

continuedDreaming i could hear the conch. Waking i could see a figure of a man before me, facing the river, deep in prayer. Chandini lay above me accompanied by her entourage of stars. It still seemed night to me, although the familiar sounds around me and the feeling in the air told me that nature was in her early stages, preparing to meet the dawn. I was not sure about the figure before me. My eyes were still blurry and i could not make him out clearly. I looked at my time and it was 3:30am. I blinked my eyes a bit to see more clearly. The man before me wore saffron robes, had a beard and from the little i could make out in the light, looked elderly in composure. I knew that he was either a swami or a sadhu. He was about 6 meters away from me. I was sure he must have seen me.  What was he doing here?
I looked around while he still prayed. There was a light on to my right and a gate was open. I realized then that i was asleep just outside an ashram and that the place where the man was doing his morning oblation, which was the place where i chose to take my rest, was the ashram Ghat were prayers were made. I noticed him move a little and i quickly put my head back down on the ground pretending to be asleep. I heard him walk past me. I heard the gate creek and i heard him walk up the steps back to the ashram. I acknowledged that this was a peculiar situation and for that moment i did not know whether to respond to my awareness by either following the swami (i was not sure if that would be allowed) or by moving camp elsewhere or to not act at all and just continue resting until the sun came up.
I decided to rest a while and see what happened when the sun came up. A few minutes later, I suddenly felt that i was not alone again. I opened my eyes to find two well built gentlemen standing above me looking down at me very curiously. They greeted me in hindi and gestured that i come with them. I gathered that the swami had asked them to fetch me. They were much younger looking than the swami and seemed fascinated and curious at the same time about my being there. I was equally surprised by their presence. One of the swami's mentioned the word aarti and gestured toward a temple in the ashram.

I quickly washed my face, legs and hands in the Ganges. The water was cold and refreshing and removed whatever sleep i had left in me. I followed them up the steps and into the temple. The temple was dimly lit and the smell of sandalwood filled the air. The incense burned soothingly as i sat down in front of a Krishna Murti and started my meditation. Another swami sat on my left and was already in meditation. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming and i felt very much at peace. I must have been there for a while. I opened my eyes again to find the room brighter as a few rays of sun filtered in through a window.

The two swami's were waiting on me and a young boy ran to them with a cup of tea in his hand. They offered me the tea with kindness and gestured that i follow them. I grabbed my belongings outside the temple and followed them into a room. One of the swami's spoke to me in Hindi and i replied: "Mera Hindi thora jaante hun." Meaning i only understand a little Hindi. I smiled at him and he smiled back. I asked him "English Pata?" He answered no and between the two of us an interesting conversation emerged. It did not matter so much the words that were spoken. From his heart i could see that the people in the ashram were concerned for me. There dealings with me from the start were with great love and affection. He told me that it was dangerous to sleep outside at night as there are a lot of wild animals in Uttarkashi, that this would be my room. To make myself comfortable and take a bath. Breakfast would be served at 7:30 and that i should join them. While this was happening the little boy ran in again with another cup of tea in his hand for me. He seemed very joyful at the thought of serving me. When i took the tea from his hands, his eyes lit up. I was very happy as well.

I was very humbled by their hospitality and strangely intrigued by the swami who preceeded all of this; The swami who never showed me his face, who prayed silently at 3:30am by the Ganges. They left me to my room and i took a cool bath. I knew i could not stay for breakfast. The same restleness started to grow inside me. I knew it was time for me to continue my journey. I changed my clothes and wrote out "Dhanyavad" on a sheet of paper, placed it under my empty tea cup and left the ashram as quietly as i entered. Gangotri was calling and i was in no position to ignore the voice inside.